CMS Login

Transfer FAQs

How many credits do I need to transfer to ESU?

Transfer applicants must have successfully completed 12 or more college credits following high school graduation. Individuals who have successfully completed fewer than 12 credits following graduation from high school are considered freshmen in the application process.

Check the transfer application and admission requirements for additional information.

Is there a maximum number of credits you'll accept?

There is no university-wide maximum. ESU will transfer in as many credits as possible to comparable courses at the university. However, this does not guarantee that the coursework will satisfy your graduation requirements. The academic departments determine how transfer credits are applied to your degree program. To earn an ESU degree, you meet also all University Requirements for graduation.

Several academic departments have limits on the number of credits that can be transferred and applied towards the degree. These include:

  • Computer Science/Security: maximum of 15 semester credits and no more than 3 semester credits in upper division coursework
  • Media Communication and Technology: 9 semester credits maximum
  • Philosophy: 12 semester credits maximum
  • Psychology: 15 semester credits maximum

Check with the academic department of your intended degree program for the most up-to-date academic information, program content and restrictions.

When will I know how my credits transferred?

With your offer of admission, or shortly thereafter, you will receive an Initial Transfer Credit Evaluation (TCE). The Initial 'TCE' will indicate how your attempted coursework from other institutions (with final grades) will transfer to ESU. Coursework in-progress cannot be evaluated until an official transcript with final grades is received and reviewed. Coursework ‘Pending Review’ that requires additional evaluation will be reviewed by the Transfer and Articulation Center. When the evaluation of the pending credits is complete, an updated 'TCE’ will be delivered to the applicant. After you submit your the Enrollment Deposit ‘E-Deposit’ indicating your intention to enroll, the ‘TCE’ is made available to your academic advisor. Your academic advisor will use the ‘TCE’ information during the advising and course registration process. You can also use our on-line Transfer Equivalency Guide to check how credits fro my our prior institution(s) may transfer to ESU.

What is Academic Passport?

If you are a student at a PA Community College, Lackawanna College or one of the PA State System Universities (PASSHE) and are ready to transfer, Academic Passport is your guaranteed admission to East Stroudsburg University. To qualify you must have a conferred Associate of Arts (A.A.) or the Associate of Science (A.S.) degree from a PA community college, Lackawanna College or at least 12 credits from a Pennsylvania State System of Higher Education (PASSHE) University. Students must have a minimum 2.00 grade point average. Students holding the Academic Passport from PA community colleges, Lackawanna College or other State System universities (PASSHE) will transfer credit according to the Board of Governors Policy titled The Academic Passport and Student Transfer Policy.

For more information visit the Academic Passport page.

How are credits evaluated for Transfer?

Nearly all college-level courses taken at accredited institution will be considered for transfer credit, excluding coursework that is developmental, remedial, technical or religious in nature. At the time of admission review, provided an official college transcript has been received by the Office of Admission, the Transfer and Articulation Center will review the prior college credit with final grades for possible transfer credit. The Transfer and Articulation Center will send an Initial Transfer Credit Evaluation "TCE"within five days of the acceptance offer. Transfer credit that has been previously evaluated by ESU and deemed transferrable is applied to the Initial 'TCE'. Credit that has not been previously evaluated will be reviewed by Transfer and Articulation Center who will determine the transferability of those credits, update the student record and send an Updated/Final "TCE" to the applicant. The Updated/Final "TCE" will indicate any additional transfer credit awarded to the applicant, including final grades received from in-progress coursework. The academic department of your ESU degree program will determine how your transfer credit will apply toward your ESU degree program. For additional information, see 'How Credits Transfer'.

Are transfer students eligible for on-campus housing?

ESU’s campus housing inventory includes nine facilities; five traditional residence halls, two apartment complexes (University Apartments and University Ridge), and two suite style residence halls.

Campus housing is available for transfer students on a first-come, first-serve basis until spaces are filled. Once spaces are filled, students requesting campus housing are placed on a waitlist. Transfer students interested in campus housing must first pay the Enrollment Deposit (E-Deposit) indicating their intention to enroll. Students interested in campus housing must then complete the Housing Request form by accessing the form in their myESU student portal. Residence Life and Housing Office will contact students as openings occur.

For questions pertaining to campus housing options, contact the Office of Residence Life and Housing, David Campbell at (570) 422-3460 or

What other housing options are there at ESU for Transfer Students?

University Ridge Apartments located just north east of the campus, is campus housing community built and designed with the convenience and comfort of the ESU student in mind. The complex offers apartment style campus housing. Our 541 ESU students enjoy scenic views in our picturesque complex looking over the Pocono Mountains. For more information call (570) 422-2400 or visit

Want to live off-campus, the Office of Residence Life can assist by providing a list of available rental units in the area. When local landlords advertise to us that they have apartments/homes/rooms to rent, we compile the list and make it available for interested students. Contact the Office of Residence Life and Housing at (570) 422-3138 or Off Campus Housing Information.

I know you need my college transcripts. What about high school?

If transferring without a conferred Associate or Bachelor degree, an official high school transcript with graduation date or GED score report from the state of issue is required as proof of graduation or the equivalent.

Applicants with fewer than 12 college credits completed at the time of application evaluated using a combination of official college-level GPA/credits; high school record; and SAT/ACT scores for admission consideration. Therefore, you must submit a final school transcript for admission consideration.

Can I apply on-line?

Definitely! Access our on-line application here.

I attended multiple institutions, do you need all of my transcripts?

Yes. An official transcript is required from all college/university or post-secondary institutions attended even if you do not wish to have the credit considered for transfer. If you are currently enrolled elsewhere, please request the institution send an official transcript listing the in-progress coursework. Official transcripts must be sent directly from the sending institution (your prior institutions) to: ESU Office of Admission, 200 Prospect Street, East Stroudsburg, PA 18301

Can I speak with an ESU transfer admission counselor?

Absolutely! The ESU transfer staff is here to help you.

Walt Lukow, Associate Director for Transfer Admission/Transfer Coordinator
(570) 422-3110 or (Contact for transfer students with last name initial of L-Z)

Nina Atanesian, Assistant Director for Transfer Admission
(570) 422-3149 or (Contact for transfer students with last name initial of A-K)

Millie Roman-Buday, Assistant Director of Admission for Accelerated Degree Completion Programs
(610) 419-2516 or

Contact Us and Receive Support

Reibman Administration Building
(570) 422-3542
(570) 422-3933 (Fax)
(877) 230-5547 (Toll-free)

Transfer Admission Counselors

Associate Director
Transfer Admission

Walt Lukow
(570) 422-3110
Contact for transfer students with last name initial of L-Z
Assistant Director
Transfer Admission

Nina Atanesian
(570) 422-3149
Contact for transfer students with last name initial of A-K
Assistant Director
Accelerated Degree Completion Programs

Millie Román-Buday
(610) 419-2516