The Office of Multicultural Affairs (OMA) serves as an advocate and resource for students from diverse cultural backgrounds and coordinates the activities for student organizations representing the interests of these underrepresented groups. In addition, the office supports individuals and groups who seek to develop and implement educational or social programs cultural awareness while encouraging equality, dignity, and mutual respect within the campus community.
The OMA will support the implementation of social, cultural, and academic programs that:
- Support the retention and graduation rates of students of color,
- Develop essential leadership, communication and other socials skills for students of color, and
- Enhance student awareness of diverse cultures and foster respect for cultural diversity
- Design and implement student learning initiatives that enable students to develop multicultural competence and knowledge while raising awareness of diverse cultures and foster respect for cultural diversity.
- Research and design a comprehensive assessment vehicle that will assess campus climate and cultural awareness.
- Work with affiliated student groups and organizations to facilitate cross-cultural interactions and initiatives in support of student learning and community networking.
- Enhance the social climate for the development of underrepresented groups.
- Support the retention and graduation rates of students of color.
- Create strong university, alumni, and external collaborations that will be in alignment with and support the academic mission.
- Increase technological capability within MCH facilities that will enable greater student use and increase overall satisfaction.