- Self-assessments: Learn something about yourself, with the goal of matching careers to your profile.
- Exploring majors and careers: Maybe your head is spinning thinking of all the different programs offered here, and you don’t know how to choose. Or, you love a specific major, but you are unsure of the career opportunities associated with it.
- Visit the Career Development Center!
- Get involved on campus.
- Get to know your advisor.
- Register on warriorcareers
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter for important announcement and events.
Freshman Year: Explore & Discover
- Research careers within your major and compare them to your career expectations.
- Start researching the type of internships that are out there in your field. SECURE AN INTERNSHIP (or two) BEFORE YOU GRADUATE, EVEN IF IT’S NOT REQUIRED IN YOUR MAJOR!*
- Prepare your first draft of your resume. Visit us in the Career Development Center office prior to starting to gather all the important “how-to’s” of resume writing. Then, come see us for revisions and suggestions. We love resume writing!!
- Develop solid relationships with faculty. Get to know them, and ensure they know you!
*If you are doing an internship for credit, be sure to follow your department’s guidelines for approval prior to starting.
Sophomore Year: Research & Choose
- Update your resume and bring it to us to be critiqued.
- Find that internship and secure it! Need help searching? Please see us!
- Practice your interviewing skills by setting up mock interviews with us, and utilizing InterviewStream™ where you can practice, record, critique, and share your interviews!
- Start networking! Build your LinkedIn profile and reach out to professors, employers, alumni...
- Attend the ESU Career and Internship Fair in March.
- Seek out leadership roles within your clubs and organizations that you’re a part of.
- Research graduate schools if you plan on attending, and gather letters of recommendations from professors.
- Prepare for the appropriate standardized tests needed for graduate school and note the test dates.
Junior Year: Focus & Engage
- Update your resume with all of your wonderful internship experiences.
- Possibly obtain another internship.
- Meet with a career counselor for another resume review, and discuss cover letters.
- Practice your interviewing skills by setting up mock interviews with us, and utilizing warriorcareers mock interview where you can practice, record, critique, and share your interviews!
- Meet with a career counselor to brush up on your job searching skills.
- Attend the annual ESU Career & Internship Fair in March.
- Update your LinkedIn profile and connect with your internship colleagues.
- Decide if you will be attending graduate school.
- If you choose to attend graduate school, narrow down the possibilities and start working on your personal statement ASAP, then have it critiqued in our office.
Senior Year: Apply & Achieve