* Studies * Performance * Appreciation * History * Outreach *
They’re all a part of the rich jazz experience at East Stroudsburg University of Pennsylvania. With a number of music degrees offered at ESU, including concentrations in jazz, students enjoy numerous “up close and personal” experiences with both regional and world-renowned jazz professionals.
In the Jazz Masters Seminar, professionals present their music, lives and careers to students and the public in an informal classroom setting. Each artist appears as guest speaker and performer, interacting with the class and audience. Previous lecturer-performers have included:
* David Liebman * Bob Dorough * Dave Frishberg * Phil Woods *
*Eric Doney * Steve Gilmore * Bill Goodwin * Lou Marini *
* Kim Parker * Phil Markowitz * Marco Marcinko * Jerry Harris *
* Nancy & Spencer Reed * Mulgrew Miller * Hal Galper *
* Donna Antonow * Nelson Hill * Mark Murphy * Terell Stafford *
* Vic Juris * Sherrie Maricle & Stanley Kay * Bill Mays *
* John Coates, Jr. * Dave Tofani * and many more!
Each concert in the Mentor Concert Series pairs two musicians who are peer mentors or who once had a mentor-student relationship, now complimenting each other’s performance. To date, the concerts have featured such artists as:
* John Coates, Jr. & Eric Doney *
* Bob Dorough & Dave Frishberg *
* Mulgrew Miller & Steve Nelson *
* Phil Markowitz & Joe Locke *
* Phil Woods & Nelson Hill with the Jesse Green Trio *
* David Liebman & Gunnar Mossblad *
* Mark Murphy & Tessa Souter *
* The Music of Ornette Coleman & Bill Goodwin’s Orntette *
* Jerry Harris & Nancy and Spencer Reed *
Both the Jazz Masters Seminar and the Mentor Concert Series were developed and are taught by Patrick Dorian, Distinguished Professor of Music. Lectures and concerts are open to the public, free of charge. For more information, visit www.esu.edu/~pdorian or contact Prof. Dorian at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Over the years, students playing in the University Jazz Ensemble have had the unique privilege to accompany top-flight guest artists in concerts on campus. These performers, some with multiple appearances, have included:
* Phil Woods * Clark Terry * David Liebman * Al Grey *
* Freddie Hubbard * Benny Carter * Jimmy Heath * Steve Turre *
* Robin Eubanks * Stanley Turrentine * Marvin Stamm *
* Lou Marini * Lou Del Gatto * Jim Pugh * Terell Stafford *
Audio and video tapes of the Jazz Masters Seminar, Mentor Concert Series and University Jazz Ensemble concerts are preserved in the Pocono Jazz Heritage Collection of the ACMJC.