The Middle States Commission on Higher Education is the unit of the Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools that accredits degree-granting colleges and universities in the Middle States region, which includes Delaware, the District of Columbia, Maryland, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Puerto Rico, the U.S. Virgin Islands, and several locations internationally.
The Commission is a voluntary, non-governmental, membership association that defines, maintains, and promotes educational excellence across institutions with diverse missions, student populations, and resources.
It examines each institution as a whole, rather than specific programs within institutions.
For more information, refer to the Commission's statements of its mission, vision, core values, and MSCHE Guide to Becoming Accredited.
Middle States Commission on Higher Education
3624 Market Street, Philadelphia, PA 19104
Telephone: (267) 284–5000
ESU's Institutional Accreditation
ESU is accredited by the Commission on Higher Education of the Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools.
ESU Progress Letter
Statement of Accreditation Status
Periodic Review Report
The Periodic Review Report (PRR), due five years after the decennial self-study and reaffirmation of accreditation, is a retrospective, current, and prospective analysis of the institution. As an essential phase of the accreditation cycle, the PRR should demonstrate that the institution meets the standards by which the Commission reaffirms or denies accredited status. ESU's PRR is due June 12, 2012.
Objectives of PRR
- To assess the impact of significant major developments, changes, or challenges subsequent to the last evaluation
- To assess ESU's response to recommendations resulting from the previous Middle States evaluation
- To review ESU's enrollment trends, financial status, and enrollment and financial projections
- To determine the current status of the implementation of processes for the assessment of institutional effectiveness and the assessment of student learning outcomes (Accreditation Standards 7 and 14)
- To assess the extent to which linked institutional planning and budgeting processes are in place
Reaffrim PRR (November 15, 2012)
PRR Readers Response
ESU PRR Committee Members
ESU PRR Timeline
MSCHE Handbook for PRR
ESU PRR Narrative May 2012
ESU PRR Apendices May 2012