This quick reference guide is designed to inform you of what actions you may be instructed to take (immediate responses) to the most common emergency situations based on best practices. These instructions are only to be used as a guide. Situational judgment is always necessary.
If you see or are informed of an active shooter situation via text message or other communication:
- Evacuate if safe to do so
- If not safe to evacuate, move immedialtely to a securable room; close/lock/barricade the door
- Turn off lights, stay away from windows and remain calm and quiet.
- DO NOT open doors or windows to see "what's going on"
- DO NOT open door to anyone except police
- Only contact police if you have valuable information
- Seek further information via web, telephone, text message, etc.
- Use common sense
If you are informed of an evacuation via text message or other communication:
- Evacuate the building at the nearest exit; notify and help others as you leave
- Take all personal belongings with you (wallet, keys, ID's, purse, etc.)
- DO NOT use the elevator
- DO NOT reenter the building
- If you do not have your own transportation to leave campus, follow the directions of emergency responders
Shelter in Place
If you are informed of a shelter in place stiuation via text message or other communication:
- Go to the nearest building, move to the center of the building away from doors and windows
- Close windows and turn off air circulating equipment if possible
- DO NOT leave secure area until instructed to do so by the police
- Wait for further instructions by means of University text message or the web