Procedure to Request Services
Students who request accommodations are responsible for initiating the process with the Office of Disability Services and for requesting those accommodations (academic or environmental).
Office of Disability Services
East Stroudsburg University of PA
200 Prospect Street
East Stroudsburg, PA 18301 Confidential Fax: (570) 422-3898
- Identify as an individual with a disability by completing the self-disclosure form and submitting supporting documentation during the first semester you attend classes at ESU or the first semester you are requesting accommodations.
- You will be notified of your eligibility for an intake interview by the Office of Disability Services. Please make an appointment to meet with the faculty in the Office of Disability Services. In order to reactivate their status, re-enrolled students must meet with a faculty/disability service provider.
- The meeting will be held during the first semester the student identifies as needing accommodations / access and attends classes. At this meeting, you can request services that are “reasonable” for your course of study, the post-secondary environment and supported by your self-disclosure form, interview and documentation.
- The disability service provider will review the self-disclosure form, intake interview, supporting documentation and assess the student's program of study. The disability service providers will use this information to evaluate the request for accommodations/academic adjustments based on their professional judgment.
- The disability service provider and student will collaborate to ensure educational access and complete the letter of accommodation. Letters are dated and signed by both the student and the disability service provider.
- Students will be given copies of the letter that lists approved accommodations to present to those professors from whom they will be requesting such accommodations or adjustments. After their first semester, students are responsible for picking up their accommodations letters at the beginning of each semester.
- Students will have the opportunity to sign a release form giving the faculty member in the Office of Disability Services permission to discuss accommodations or adjustments with classroom faculty who have questions, professional tutors, parents and other relevant individuals.
- Students are responsible for meeting with their professors, presenting their letter of accommodation, and discussing their accommodation requests in a timely manner.
- It is the student’s responsibility to inform the relevant faculty member and their disability service provider immediately if there is a problem/concern regarding any approved and requested accommodation.
- If at any point in this process you experience difficulty or have questions, please contact the Office of Disability Services for help and support.