Career possibilities for a person with this major are quite numerous because Recreation Services Management encompasses a wide variety of recreation-related settings.
- Leisure services are offered through many local governments (city, township, county)-- this is referred to as municipal or community recreation. Municipal parks and playgrounds, seasonal sports programs, community fitness centers, and special events are some of the types of services offered. Majors in our department may pursue a career as a municipal park and recreation director.
- Another popular service provider of leisure services in the community are organizations such as YMCA, YWCA, Boy Scouts, Girl Scouts and others. A student in our major may prepare for a rewarding management career in one of these private, not-for-profit agencies.
- Students with an interest in the outdoors may pursue careers in outdoor recreation or outdoor adventure.They would provide opportunities in outdoor environments such as camps, parks, or nature centers. In such settings, employment may be as a state park manager, a nature center director, a national park ranger, natural interpreter, youth camp director, an environmental education specialist, or outdoor adventure leader.
- Another career employment area is commercial recreation. Employment possibilities are available at resorts, ski areas, special event companies, theme parks, and cruise lines. Additional opportunities exist within the area of travel and tourism with convention centers and tourism promotion agencies.
- Career opportunities also exist within the area of therapeutic recreation. Recreation therapists work in a variety of settings such as rehabilitation, pediatric, psychiatric hospitals, residential facilities, long-term care facilities, and community programs. In this specialty area, recreation enables a person with a disability to improve his/her level of functioning and quality of life.
ESU Recreation Services Management Alumni: Working to put excellence into people's lives!
A few examples of positions held by our graduates:
- Cast Activities Director, Walt Disney World, FL
- Youth Activities Director, Carnival Cruise Lines
- General Manager, Yachtsman Resort, Myrtle Beach, SC
- Outdoor Adventure Leader, San Francisco, CA
- Special Projects Director, U.S. Tennis Association
- Recreation Therapy Coordinator, Marworth, Waverly, PA
- General Manager & Regional Director, Outdoor World Resort, Lancaster, PA
- Park Ranger, Everglades National Park, FL
- Recreation therapist, Good Shepherd Pediatric Unit, Bethlehem, PA
- Park and Recreation Director, Plymouth Township, Norristown, PA
- Marketing and Special Events Coordinator, Sunday River Ski Area, Newry, ME
- Interpretive Park Ranger, Lowell Historical Park, Lowell, MA
- Account Executive, Snowboarder Magazine, San Diego, CA
- Regional State Park Manager, PA Bureau of State Parks
- Senior Event Planner, David L Lawrence Convention Center, Pittsburgh, PA