The New MS in Health Education will lead you to an exciting and growing profession that can lead to jobs in health agencies, nonprofit organizations, school/colleges/universities, and health care delivery organizations.
Health Education is a field that draws from the biological, environmental, psychological, social, physical and medical sciences to promote health and prevent disease, disability and premature death.
Professionals in the field work to influence the health behavior of individuals as well as the lifestyle conditions that influence their health. Positions include health promotion, wellness, disease management, health consumerism, health literacy and patient safety and advocacy.
Health educators today work --
- In schools (K-12) – health educator works with students, teachers, school personnel, and parent/guardians, Health educators teach health education classes, promote and implement comprehensive school health programming, promote healthy school environments and school-community
- In colleges/universities health educators serves students to create an environment in which students feel empowered to make healthy choices, develop ‘healthy choices initiatives’ for students, organize / mentor students to provide peer counseling and advocate for student wellness programs and a healthy student environment.
- In workplaces- working with employees and their families health educators, perform or coordinate employee counseling and education services, employee health risk appraisals, and health screenings, they create a strategic business plans, they design, promote and lead health programs addressing weight control/obesity, hypertension, nutrition, substance abuse prevention, physical fitness, stress management, and smoking cessation, they develop educational materials, assure company compliance with occupational health and safety regulations and provide community health resources for employees.
The opportunities for health educators has exploded over the last few years. Unlike a decade ago where most health educators were employed in the public sector, today health education and behavior modification is entrenched in both the public and private sector (51 percent now work in healthcare and social assistance and 23 percent work in government). In addition, health educators work in grant-making services and social advocacy organizations.
In general job prospects for health educators are expected to be favorable, especially for those who have a graduate. Faster than average job growth is expected, from 2008-2018 there is projected to be an increase in employment for health educators with a 12,000 expected new jobs showing an increase of 18%.
These changes requires that health educators that have training in competencies versus specific content areas that follow the tradition government categorical funding structures.
For more information view the following informative video, or go to www.sophe.org.
The New MS Health Education
The program’s new curriculum – is competency-based. The new curriculum provides graduates with the understanding, skills and professional values required to be a leader in the practice of health education.
The new curriculum addresses the present research and the latest competencies for health educators developed by the Competencies Update Project (CUP) of the National Commission for Health Education Credentialing, Inc. (NCHEC).
Required Courses 30 Total credits:
- HLTH 560: Scientific Foundations of Health Education
- HLTH 555: Health Education Evaluation
- HLTH 570: Research Methods in Health Education
- HLTH 562: Public Health Measurements Statistics
- HLTH 538: Health Policy and Administration
- HLTH 539: Methods in Health Education Workshop
- HLTH 541: Media Literacy and Analysis
- HLTH 515: Determinants of Disease
- HLTH 546: Advocacy and Leadership in Health Education
- HLTH 571: Independent Research Problem
The courses are available in a distance education format.
For more information contact the ESU Health Studies Department at 570-422-3702, or email the coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you are interested in applying proceed to http://www.esu.edu/admissions/graduate/apply_now.cfm