The nature and importance of teaching requires that students who seek to enter the profession possess unimpeachable character, above average academic ability, and personality traits suitable for working with young people.
Admission to East Stroudsburg University does not ensure admission to teacher education programs.
Students are initially admitted as pre-education majors. All pre-education majors seeking certification must successfully complete teacher education program admission to become education majors and take major courses.
Students should apply for formal admission to the Teacher Education Program after obtaining 48 credits and before completing 60 credits of course work.
Program admission criteria include:
- Faculty interviews
- Satisfactorily passing basic skills screening tests which include the Praxis I Academic Skills Assessments in reading, writing and mathematics
- Earning a minimum overall undergraduate QPA as determined by Pennsylvania law (2.8 OR as determined by department; transfer students' grades may be included in averaging the QPA -- use QPA Table for reconfiguration)
- Completing 6 credits of mathematics courses and 6 credits of English Courses (including one composition and one literature)
- Satisfactorily completing early field experiences
- Complete 48 credit hours by the time candidacy is decided
- Completing Act 34 and/or FBI clearance and Act 151 child abuse clearance
- Other specific departmental requirements
- Be recommended by the departmental faculty and approved by the Teacher Education Council.
Students are then admitted to candidacy in the teacher education program and are permitted to take "major only" courses.
A 3.0 QPA is required for certification in the state of Pennsylvania. The student's progress and mastery of competencies is monitored while completing requirements in the program.
Students are required to maintain a 2.8 cumulative average to remain in the program and teacher education classes. (Some programs may have higher requirements)
Students must satisfy all program requirements to be recommended for the degree and teacher certification.
Only qualified teacher education majors are allowed to take teacher education classes.
Each department will provide each student a copy of its program requirements, course checklist, and expectations.
For certification in Pennsylvania, students must also pass specific Praxis II exams as delineated by the Pennsylvania Department of Education and have a 3.0 QPA.
Please see individual departments or the ETS Praxis Website for further information.