- Policy Title: Tailgate & Picnicking Policy
- Policy Number: ESU-SA-2013-005
- Effective Date: Fall, 2013
- Adopted Date: October 31, 2013
- Last Reviewed: N/A
- Amended: N/A
- Related Policies: Alcohol Policy, Student Alcohol Policy, Non-Academic Facility Scheduling Policy
General Guidelines for Tailgating and Picnicking:
- Alcohol is prohibited at Tailgating or picnic events.
- Tailgating and picnics are permitted to begin two and one-half (2½) hours before kickoff and during halftime. Tailgating and picnics are not permitted post-game.
- All state and local laws and University policies are in effect during tailgating and picnicking activities. Those violating any laws or policies are subject to removal from the tailgating/picnicking areas and/or possible criminal and university judicial sanctions.
- Designated tailgating and picnicking areas will be determined by University Police and Conference Services on an event by event basis.
- The following items are prohibited: Any and all types of liquor and spirits, beer kegs, party balls, containers of beer, etc.
- All beverages must be in cans, plastic bottles, or containers made of Styrofoam, plastic, or a like substance. Glass beverage containers are prohibited.
- The University reserves the right to restrict vehicle parking, to designate parking spaces, and to restrict access to designated tailgating locations or picnicking spots.
- Platforms and stages are not permitted unless approved by the Director of Health and Safety and Conference Services at least one calendar week in advance.
- Soliciting and sales are not permitted by anyone other than approved university affiliates with advance written permission.
- Participants are expected to keep the campus clean and dispose of trash properly so as not to litter. The use of charcoal grills and any manner of open flames is not permitted with the exception of small gas grills.
- Participants are expected to respect the rights of others, be courteous and refrain from the use of loud and/or abusive language, raucous behavior, and amplified sound.
Events sponsored by the ESU Foundation or approved by the ESU President are subject to all of the picnicking and tailgating policies noted above with the following exceptions:
- Alcohol may be served to those individuals who are 21 years of age or older No person or group shall provide alcoholic beverages to anyone less than 21 years of age.
- Alcohol consumption by ESU students 21 years of age or over are subject to the Student Alcohol Policy.
- With approval of University Police and Conference Services, post game picnics and tailgate are permitted.
Reason For Policy:
ESU recognizes that athletic events are an important component of the University experience. Football and other sporting event activities contribute to this end by encouraging social interaction and enhancing school spirit. These guidelines are designed to clarify individual responsibilities so that everyone may enjoy being on campus.
Appeals to this policy should be directed to Vice President for Student Affairs.
A tailgate is a party or social event held on and around the open tailgate of a vehicle, on tables, and generally includes food, beverages and when permitted, alcohol. Tailgate parties usually occur prior to sporting events. For the purpose of this policy picnicking will be included within the terms of this policy.
Other Relevant Information: