Sustainability is meeting the needs of the present generation without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their needs. UN World Commission on Environment and Development (WCED) "Our Common Future."(The Brundtland Report, 1987)
East Stroudsburg University commits itself to environmental sustainability in its overall philosophy and day-to-day practices. This commitment involves collaborative efforts among our students and employees, and our greater Northeastern Pennsylvania community. We strive to inspire our constituents towards achieving climate neutrality through education, exposure to green values and attitudes, and most of all conscientious action.
Spring 2017 Highlights
- Recycling Committee
- Collected and shipped at least 50 pairs of gently-used sneakers for the MORE Foundation
- Environmental Club
- Cleaned up many local streets as a part of ESU’s Adopt-a-Block program
- Participated in the Delaware River Watershed cleanup on Earth Day
- Go Green Group
- Held various campus cleanups throughout the semester
- Promoted sustainability during ESU’s Earth Week through various activities including the collection of cigarette butts in exchange for giftcards
- ESU Charity Water
- Raised over $100 to help bring access to clean drinking water to people in developing nations.
Fall 2017 Meeting dates for the Sustainability Commission - TBA
If you are interested in participating and sharing your Green ideas please feel free to contact Jeffrey Hardy, Ph.D the chair of the Sustainability Commission (firstname.lastname@example.org)