- Procedure Title: Types of Mailings
- Policy Number: ESU-FA-2011-018
- Effective Date: January 1997
- Review Date: October 27, 2011
- Division: Finance & Administration
- Responsible Office: Facilities Management
These procedures will assist in sending out different types of mailing and special services.
The US Postal Service constantly updates postal regulations. Please contact the Mailroom for assistance on any of the following:
- Large Mailings - Contact the ESU Mail Room Supervisor to obtain information concerning the most efficient, cost effective method to process over 200 pieces.
- A Large Mailing Request form is required for all large mailings prior to printing postal indicia/stamp. The form is available from the ESU Mailroom Supervisor and must be completed with appropriate approval signatures.
It is the responsibility of the department to insure that the appropriate preparation and class of mail is utilized. Planning is the key element in the utilization of the non-profit, standard, or First Class rates.
- The mailroom will handle and process large mailings up to 1,000 pieces. All mailings over 1,000 pieces are sent to a mail house contractor for preparation and delivery to the USPS. Please contact mailroom supervisor for assistance.
- All University departmental mailing lists should be updated at least quarterly (preferably before each mailing).
- When mailing labels are ordered from the Computing Center, request labels in presorted zip code order (00000-99999).
- To qualify as a large mailing, all envelope content must be same correspondence type and weight (invoices and personalized correspondence do not qualify).
For the following special mail services, approval of the appropriate Dean, Chairperson or Director is necessary. Each mail piece for which special mail service is requested, must be accompanied by a Special Mail Service Approval form. Contact the Mailroom for specific mailing descriptions and fees.
- Business Reply Mail (BRM) - The advantage of using the Business Reply mailing envelope is that postage is not charged until the piece is returned. Business Reply mail requires special handling and nine digit zip codes. All business reply pieces in excess of 100 pieces must be pre approved by the appropriate Vice President. A reproduction sample must be presented to USPS.
- The originator should contact the ESU Mail Room Supervisor at least four weeks in advance of the intended mailing date. This time is required to contact the Readability Specialist at the U.S. Postal Service for approval of the business reply and to order the typesetting.
- It should never be assumed that BRM previously accepted is still acceptable. Contact the ESU Mail Room Supervisor or Manager prior to printing.
- Preprinted generic #9 envelopes are available through the Printing and Duplications Services Office for mailings of less than 100 pieces at a nominal cost to the originating department.
Private Couriers - Courier services, such as Federal Express, UPS, Emery, etc., must be contacted by originating department and funded through the sender's budget.
Packages - Contact Mailroom for assistance to determine appropriate shipping guidelines.
- Express Mail – overnight or next day delivery service.
- Priority Mail- two day delivery service.
- Certificate of Mailing - a receipt that provides evidence of the date that mail was presented to the USPS for mailing.
- Registered Mail- to be used to send valuable or irreplaceable items through the mail. Items sent Registered Mail are placed under tight security from the point of mailing to the point of delivery, and insured up to $25,000 against loss or damage. Sender is able to verify the date and time of delivery and the delivery attempts online.
- Certified Mail - First Class mail service that requires the recipient to sign for item at the time of delivery at additional fee. For an extra charge, a return receipt is available that is returned to showing when the article was delivered and who signed for it.
Pick Up and Delivery
Redirection or Forwarding of Incoming Mail
General Mail Guidelines
Other Related Information: