- Procedure Title: ESU Policy Development and Administration
- Policy Number: ESU-PO-2010-002
- Effective Date: December 9, 2010
- Review Date: November 14, 2012
- Division: President's Office
- Responsible Office: President's Office
These procedures define the manner in which university-wide policies are developed, maintained and published.
Policy Approval Process
- Policy Identification:
- Policy author identifies new policies, revisions to existing policies, or policies that need to be converted into the policy repository.
- Policy author engages with specific stakeholders of policy. If policy and procedures affect other department or divisions, discuss revisions with them.
- Recommendations for new or revised policies must be submitted using the following forms found on the University Policies web page and/or the "S" drive in the University Policy folder:
- Approval Routing form
- Policy Template
- Procedure Template (if applicable)
- The Policy author meets with supervisor, if applicable, to obtain signatures on approval routing form.
- Policy author and/or supervisor meet with vice president to discuss policy and obtain signatures on approval routing form.
- Policy author forwards signed approval routing form, policy template, and if applicable, procedure template to the Policy Administration Office.
- Policy Review/Vetting:
- Author attends a Policy Advisory Committee (PAC) meeting to discuss policy. PAC reviews the policy submission for operational efficacy.
- If deemed necessary, policies are referred to governance groups and/or approving/enforcement bodies for review and recommendation.
- Policy Administration submits to President's Council policies and procedures for review in consistency in format, ESU's mission, or conflicts between the proposed policy and other ESU policies. President's Council does not need to review current policies that do not have substantial changes prior to Legal Counsel's review.
- Policy Administration submits policies to Legal Counsel for review.
- Legal Counsel's comments are returned to author for review by the Policy Adminisration Office.
- Author reviews comments and finalizes policy revisions with supervisor and vice president.
- Author forwards approved revisions to Policy Administration Office to be entered into the content management system.
- Procedures related to Policy are entered into the content management system by the department's web steward.
- Policy Administration posts new or revised policy announcement on the University web page for fifteen (15) business days for public review via Postmaster (email) and on myESUPortal.
- Policy Administration announces repealed policies via Post Master (email), on myESUPortal, and on the University web page.
- Policy Administration will summarize the comments and present to President's Council for discussion and refinement of the proposed policy as warranted.
- Policy Administration will post comments received on the Public Comments web page for fifteen (15) business days after public posting.
- Policy is submitted to Council of Trustees for informational purposes or for approval of the President's recommendation.
- The President approves all policies, which can be viewed on the University Policies website at www.esu.edu/policies
- Administrative Updates to adopted policies triggered by external or internal events require approval from PAC. Contact Policy Administration if you have questions regarding administrative updates to adopted policies.
- Adopted policies must be reviewed every 5 years, or if necessary, on an as needed basis. Procedures must be reviewed every 2 years, or if necessary, on an as needed basis. Amendments to policies are made as necessary.
- Policy Authors are notified 6 month prior to their 5 year renewal date to review their policies.
Administrative Changes to Adopted Policies
If a "minor change" occurs to an adopted Policy due to an external or internal triggering event such as an update in federal regulations or addressing a new risk, the Administrative Update to Adopted Policy Form must be completed and reviewed by the Policy Advisory Committee.
Policy Routing Form
Administrative Update Form
Other Related Information:
Policy Approval Process Flow Chart